Birth story: A surprise daughter

Birth story: A surprise daughter

We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.

Lillian Kate McKee
(A girl)
Born June 26, 2007, at 2:45 p.m.
7 pounds, 9 ounces, and 19 1/2 inches
The proud parents: Bridget and Chris McKee

Chris and I met through his sister, who I went to college with in August 2001. I went to her house one day and there he was. We didn't talk much because we both were too shy. But in September 2001 he asked me on a date. That started it all. We became very close quickly and got married May 18, 2002. We live in Roanoke, Alabama.

How it all began

I wanted a child immediately after marriage. Chris was still unsure but he knew a child would make me happy. I knew we could have fertility problems since I have polycystic ovarian syndrome, so we started trying to get pregnant right away. We went to several doctors for help managing my sporadic cycles. I also did not ovulate on my own. When I finally found my doctor in September 2006, we underwent fertility testing.

On October 9, 2006, I had a procedure that used dye to see if my tubes were open and my uterus was in good shape, and to clean out a little debris. That month we began taking Clomid (50 mg). I ovulated my 19th day and got a positive pregnancy test on October 24, 2006. The indicator was very light but I put the positive test in an envelope and wrote "Congratulations" on it for when Chris got home from work. He didn't believe it and made me take two digital pregnancy tests – both said "pregnant." We told everyone right away.

We stayed with the ob-gyn who helped us get pregnant. At almost five months we were told we were having a boy, so we decorated the nursery from ceiling to floor in boy things. We named our child Alex and called him by his name through the rest of the pregnancy.

I had a great pregnancy at first, with little morning sickness. But then I started having complications. First I failed my glucose test and barely passed my three-hour test. I started having heart palpitations and dizzy spells. At 29 weeks I began seeing my ob-gyn weekly due to high blood pressure. At 32 weeks my blood pressure was back to normal but I was producing way too much fluid. Finally, My doctor induced me at 39 weeks due to the excessive fluid, which was at an all-time high.


We had to be at the hospital at 5 a.m. on June 26, 2007, for induction. I had been feeling uneasy that the doctor might have been wrong about the sex of the baby. That morning I told Chris we had to pick a girl's name. We picked Audrey Kate. We thought it was just nerves. Little did we know!

We got to the hospital at 4:30 a.m. They took us right in and started the Pitocin at 5 a.m. Our parents soon arrived and Chris's sisters and their families came later. The doctor broke my water around 6:30 a.m. – it gushed and gushed because I had so much. It wet the doctor and the nurse! I was already having contractions but I didn't feel any pain until 7:30 a.m.

The tough contractions started around 8 a.m.; I moaned through them. I wanted to make it to 4 centimeters dilation without an epidural. Contractions were coming every three minutes and were very strong. When I asked for an epidural around 11:30 a.m., the nurse checked me and said I was dilated to 5 centimeters!

Chris was wonderful. He held my hand during each contraction and helped me through them. I was so shocked by how calm he was, and he made me calm too. He had to leave while I got my epidural at 12:15 p.m., and that was the hardest part. I got really nervous when he left. Immediately, both the baby's heart rate and my blood pressure dropped. I felt dizzy and passed out off and on.

They had to give me medication for my blood pressure a few times, and they put in a catheter and internal monitors. It took 15 minutes to get us stable so the family could come back in. Overall the epidural was great. All I could feel was tons of pressure on my pelvis. We did not know at the time but the baby's head was posterior (face-up) and slightly turned.

When the doctor checked me at 1 p.m., I was still 5 centimeters dilated. He said I should start progressing quickly and he would check me again in an hour. He also told us about the baby's head position. An hour passed and I was still 5 centimeters. The doctor said that due to my blood pressure and the baby's heart rate and face-up position, he thought a c-section was best.

I cried. I had never had surgery before. I was scared and frustrated, and angry with myself and my body. Chris was scared too. I had to go in the OR without him. I was really nervous. Finally they called Chris in and he sat beside me on a stool, trying to keep me calm. All I felt during the surgery was a little pressure. I did have difficulty breathing because I had been on oxygen for hours, which made breathing harder.

Then it happened. A lady said, "It's a girl!" Someone else said, "Is it a girl?" Then I heard someone say loudly, "It's a girl." I looked at Chris. We didn't know what to say. I asked the doctor if he was joking; he said no. They brought the baby to us and it was clear she was a girl. We were shocked and, honestly, disappointed. Not that we weren't excited, but we had been looking forward to a boy, we had all boy stuff, we wanted a first grandson for Chris's side of the family, and we wanted a boy for my side of the family - it had been nine years since a boy had been born in my family.

I was medicated and almost completely knocked out when I saw my daughter. They rolled my bed to the nursery window to see her before I had to spend an hour in recovery. From the first hard contraction to the birth, my labor was just over seven hours.

After delivery

I felt very nauseated during my hour in recovery. I wasn't there when Chris told everyone it was a girl. He went out and said with a shocked look on his face: "It's a girl!" He said there wasn't anything else to say. Everyone's mouth dropped. I'm sad I didn't get to see their faces. I would have loved to see them!

We named our girl Lillian Kate. I got to see Lilly-Kate about three hours after delivery. I was emotionally and physically drained. I just looked at her. It didn't feel like she was my child because we had waited so long and she was supposed to have been a boy. It didn't seem real.

The days in the hospital were pretty good. Chris, who had never changed a diaper in his life and or even been around many babies, took control like a pro. He changed her diapers and helped me feed her. He held her all the time. I breastfed, which was overwhelming at times. She was not hungry most of the time in the hospital. We tried and tried. But at home she ate nonstop.

If we could go back we would not have asked to know the sex of the baby. If we have another child, we either will not find out or we will have more than one ultrasound to be sure. Our biggest disappointment was that we had nothing ready for our baby girl. Luckily, our sisters had had girls, and we got many things from them.

Our first few days home were hectic and hard. I had bronchitis when I was released from the hospital. Bronchitis and a c-section do not go together at all, and it was very painful. With all the visitors, the first few days were very overwhelming. After that things settled down and we could not be happier. Chris had cried when he found out it was a girl, but now you wouldn't have known he was ever upset. He loves her more than anything in the world and she is in love with him too.

Watch the video: Girl Whose Birth Changed Dads Life Surprises Him With Adoption Papers (July 2022).


  1. Cesare

    Sorry to interfere, but I suggest going the other way.

  2. Narr

    I specially registered on the forum to say thank you for the information, maybe I can also help you with something?

  3. Jaden

    I'm not sure if this is so) although thank you

  4. Birde

    Bravo, this admirable thought has to be precisely on purpose

  5. Pesach

    You are just a genius, you cheered me up with your story, I will take an example from the main character.

Write a message